108,000! That's the number of associates whose lives HSE touches and improves. Join us in our mission to protect our people, patients and planet as part of the Novartis Health, Safety and Environment team.
The successful individual will take ownership for changes to HSE strategy and innovation across Novartis globally, in mixed workplace environments including scientific disease research labs, offices and sophisticated manufacturing / production sites. HSE has 300 professionals, and Novartis has permanent HSE presence in 70 countries. Yours is an important leadership position: forward-looking HSE innovation across a large global company, introducing the most advanced HSE strategies that will directly improve the company's success.
Your responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
• Partner closely with the Global Head HSE to define the global Novartis HSE strategy & approach to innovation with your inspiring leadership. You will translate strategy into functional objectives and activities, evaluate progress against the overall strategy, and identify and initiate special projects whilst ensuring internal partner involvement throughout. You will drive innovation by how you craft the HSE strategy, then refine it through new initiatives and anticipation of internal and external changes.
• Member of the Global HSE Leadership Team (6 members) and the REFS (Real Estate and Facilities) Strategy & Alliances Leadership Team: partnering with peers to achieve the best global HSE strategy, with subject matter authorities from across different regional teams to ensure innovative programs have global success. Facilitates the Global HSE Council to fully integrate HSE strategy into the overall business function plans.
• Set the global agenda across all types of business partners; key HSE objectives; resource & budget planning, footprint and integration/ engagement planning management with all business groups.
• Deliver technology innovation strategies including partnerships with universities and start-ups, advising REFS and global business functions on strategies to improve HSE innovation in Novartis.
• Develop a communications and engagement strategy & material with close consideration of the needs of multiple and diverse internal and partners. Develop and lead a global HSE partner network to engage with, establishing closer relationships with NGOs, government entities and other institutions on HSE matters important to Novartis that impact them. These may include advances in understanding and use of big data, machine learning and predictive analytics in HSE; total worker health; also local topics within countries.
• Lead all aspects of governance to ensure systems are in place that demonstrate and verify compliance with HSE regulations, permits, statutes, local ordinances and other externally driven requirements.
• Strengthen the operational aspect of HSE; delivering an approach to reducing functions process/organisational complexity that provides better transparency.
• Take ownership of operational execution for strategic programs, alliances and key partnerships to deliver global HSE services contract
What you'll bring to the role:
• University degree in safety engineering, safety management, industrial hygiene, environmental science, occupational health and/or medicine, engineering, or related field.
• Significant HSE expertise from working within multi-national organisations at senior levels; Experience of leading strategy and planning for multiple high impact regional / global HSE change programs that included operational efficiency and process improvements.
• In-depth knowledge of international management system standards for HSE (e.g. OHSAS 18001, ISO 14001, ISO 22301, ISO 31000, ISO 50001).
• Excellent interpersonal skills, with the ability to communicate effectively, managing diverse partners with a high level of personal credibility.
• A leadership style that is inclusive, proactive, respectful, change agile, innovation/creativity, and achieve results with a strong customer service focus.
• Master's degree or higher is strongly preferred.
Competitive salary, Annual bonus, Strong Work/Life Balance, flexible working, Top UK Employer, Pension scheme, Share scheme, Paid holidays, Comprehensive Medical Insurance, Subsidised Canteen, Employee Recognition Scheme, Sports & Social Club, Learning and development opportunities.
Why consider Novartis?
799 million. That's how many lives our products touched in 2019. And while we're proud of that fact, in this world of digital and technological transformation, we must also ask ourselves this: how can we continue to improve and extend even more people's lives?
We believe the answers are found when curious, courageous and collaborative people like you are brought together in an inspiring environment. Where you're given opportunities to explore the power of digital and data. Where you're empowered to risk failure by taking smart risks, and where you're surrounded by people who share your determination to tackle the world's toughest medical challenges.
Imagine what you could do at Novartis!
Commitment to Diversity & Inclusion:
Novartis embraces diversity, equal opportunity and inclusion. We are committed to building diverse teams, representative of the patients and communities we serve, and we strive to create an inclusion workplace that cultivates bold innovation through collaboration, and empowers our people to unleash their full potential.
Novartis is an equal opportunities employer and welcomes applications from all suitably qualified persons.
Join our Novartis Network:
If this role is not suitable to your experience or career goals but you wish to stay connected to learn more about Novartis and our career opportunities, join the Novartis Network here: https://talentnetwork.novartis.com/network
#LI-NOV = Novartis