Team Manager: Particle, Process and Data - Enhancing Understanding to Improve our Commercial ProcessesMacclesfield, Cheshire
At AstraZeneca, we are united by a common purpose: to push the boundaries of science to deliver life-changing medicines. Every single day, we make a difference by delivering potentially life-changing medicines to millions of people globally and by leading breakthrough science that promises to transform the treatment of disease. Our purpose is ambitious and so is our approach. Becoming a more agile and creative company means building a dynamic, inspiring culture where we celebrate diverse, bold thinking and act with a sense of urgency. We are curious, creative, and open to new ideas and ways of working.
We work together across global boundaries to make an impact and find answers to challenges. We do this with the upmost integrity, even in the most difficult Situations because we are committed to doing the right thing.
We believe in the potential of our people and you'll develop beyond what you thought possible! We make the most of your skills and passion by actively supporting you to see what you can achieve no matter where you start with us.
The Team Manager sits within the newly formed Particle, Process and Data team within the Chemical Development function of PT&D.
The Particle, Process and Data team forms part of the On Market Technical Group within and are responsible for supporting the whole of the AZ marketed portfolio using specialist Engineering, Crystallisation, Materials Science, Statistics and Data Science expertise. Particular areas of focus for the team include:
- Building a better understanding of our manufacturing data and output materials properties to reduce problems in manufacture and at the drug substance to drug product interface
- Proactive identification and management of production accommodation risks
- Process improvement identification and improvement
- Driving improvements that contribute to AstraZeneca's sustainability targets
The team drives improvements in these areas by continually evolving practices to ensure that issues that are seen today are not present in the future.
As Team Manager, in addition to the line management responsibilities of enabling your team's personal development, you will be responsible for facilitating the development and driving of the strategy across the team. You will lead a team of 8-10 individuals who are responsible for:
- Developing an understanding of API material attributes and properties required for API and drug product performance
- Technology Transfer of sustainable manufacturing methods
- Supporting manufacturing activities to supply materials for marketed products using risk assessment
- Identification and exploitation of innovative science, cutting edge technology and future capabilities to improve and optimise sustainable drug substance manufacturing processes
- Driving data collection and usage to understand processes and methods to improve performance
- Securing Intellectual Property and freedom to operate
- Acting as a source of expert guidance in the above areas
All of these activities will have a significant impact on the speed, quality and cost of the AstraZeneca marketed portfolio, the overall success of PT&D, and ensuring the commercial viability of the medicine. The role, therefore, has considerable impact on both financial, and reputational, aspects of the business. Accountabilities/Responsibilities:
- Coaches direct reports, and others, for enhanced individual and team performance
- Ensures delivery of SHE and cGMP compliance, ensuring that all work is carried out with regard to AstraZeneca and external regulatory policies and standards
- Sets the strategy and ensures the optimal delivery of the project portfolio within the areas of Particle, Process and Data
- Contributes towards, and drives, the On Market Technical strategy
- Influences and ensures the robustness of potential process improvements from an engineering, crystallisation and materials science perspective
- Ensures work within own projects, and those outside of the team, meet the required standards
- Builds strong, collaborative relationships with Operations, Regulatory, Projects and Portfolio Management, at an operational level
The Team Manager will enhance the reputation of the company in scientific circles by representing AstraZeneca, through external presentations, publications, membership of working parties and through academic collaborations.
Minimum Requirements - Education and Experience
- A good understanding of the overall drug development process, in particular marketed products
- Graduate or PhD, with substantial experience within the business and industry
- Sufficient understanding of the disciplines within Chemical Development in order to contribute to a world class Chemical Development organisation
- Experience of leading and managing a team of scientists
- A detailed understanding of principles, applications and management of SHE and cGMP
- Evidence of good communication skills and strong operational relationships with customers
Join us on our journey of building a new kind of organisation to reset expectations of what a bio-pharmaceutical company can be. This means we're opening new ways to work, pioneering ground-breaking methods and bringing unexpected teams together. Interested? Come and join our journey!