An idea conceived in a University of Cambridge laboratory in 1998, Abcam plc (www.abcamplc.com)
began life as an innovative and entrepreneurial start-up, spearheaded by like-minded individuals who shared a common purpose of providing the scientific community with quality antibody reagents, as well as trustworthy and up-to-date information about their uses and limitations. Abcam has now grown to become a leading supplier of protein research tools to life scientists, whilst always maintaining the core collaborative values assumed at its inception.
Abcam now supports life science researchers in their quest to understand the cause of disease and ultimately offer improvements to diagnoses and treatments. To achieve this outcome, the company both develops and manufactures its own products in specialist facilities across the globe, and sources from over 400 partners, offering scientists the newest, most innovative and highest quality research tools available globally, regardless of source. With a customer base of research scientists who require high performance products with detailed technical specifications, 64% of global researchers use Abcam products.
There are six broad categories of products: primary antibodies; secondary antibodies; functional assays; ELISA and other kits; biochemicals, proteins and peptides; and more recently, gene-edited cell lines and lysates. Abcam's information-rich products, together with expert customer support and fast delivery makes it the researcher's choice. Mission
- To serve life scientists to achieve their mission faster Vision
- To be the most influential life sciences company for researchers worldwide Strategy
- To deliver sustainable, profitable, long-term growth The Role
Following the acquisition of gene editing platform and oncology product portfolio of Applied StemCell Inc, we are now looking to expand the team as we look to become a leader in the cell engineering field. With this in mind, we are recruiting for a Laboratory Manager to join the team.
We are seeking an experienced Laboratory Support Specialist to be responsible for the management of our laboratory in Milpitas, California. This will include generating and maintaining stockroom inventory, ordering of laboratory supplies, coordinating/implementing logistics activities, managing budget of the service contracts, arranging maintenance/repair of equipment.
This position would also be the EHS site lead and will coordinate the disposal of hazardous materials, handle liquid nitrogen, CO2, dry-ice, environmental monitoring and general lab maintenance . This person will partner closely with other team members within the global facilities, safety and QA teams. Key Responsibilities
Skills and Experience Required Essential:
- Implement and maintain processes to manage common laboratory supplies, stock inventory, and order laboratory consumables. Support all aspects of the general laboratory organization, including implementation of programs, not limited to KanBan and Six Sigma Lean.
- Oversee laboratory equipment purchases, including price negotiation, purchasing, and installation
- Coordinate and ensure proper maintenance and repair of laboratory equipment.
- Manage the budget for all laboratory equipment service contracts
- Oversee planning and set-up of new laboratory equipment and laboratory spaces
- Ensuring that the site is compliant to all local regulations as well as to Abcam safety standards
- Oversee laboratory safety including biological and chemical safety, enforcing safety policies, managing risk, carrying out inspections and ensuring laboratory safety rules are adhered to.
- Conduct safety and best practices training for the site
- Support all logistics activities
- Support the maintenance of the Milpitas facility
- Bachelor's degree in relevant discipline
- 4 years of experience working in laboratory management or scientific operations
- Previous safety experience within a laboratory environment
- Strong organizational and interpersonal skills
- Experience working with external vendors and CROs
- Experience optimizing and centralizing processes across groups
- Experience with permitting, training, and reporting requirements as set forth by local, state, and federal regulations
- Ability to troubleshoot, solve difficult problems, and propose solutions relating to laboratory organization and management
- Ability to work in a high energy organization with evolving goals and deliverables, merging priorities from across the company.
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills, ability to work well with colleagues from diverse backgrounds and cultures.
The team are currently co-located in the current Applied StemCell Inc facility Milpitas, CA, although are planned to relocate to a nearby facility by Summer 2020. Pay and Benefits
In addition to competitive salaries, we offer an attractive and flexible benefits package (including our award-winning share scheme), a culture focused on well-being and opportunities for growth and development, and a highly flexible working environment.