Job Overview: Senior Director - Project Management Center of Excellence Home-Based EMEA Therapeutic Area Experience Required: Oncology
The Senior Director is an industry leader responsible for overseeing operational, financial and quality delivery of a portfolio of clinical studies conducted within a GTMO therapeutic area. The Senior Director is expected to serve as the voice of the customer, ensuring effective project design and execution while fostering strategic relationships in order to grow the business. They need to demonstrate the ability to prioritize between functional area objectives and project delivery in order to be in line with corporate strategy.
Additionally, the Senior Director is responsible for the line management and talent development and retention of assigned project management staff with an emphasis on developing and improving consistent project management excellence. The Senior Director supports the PMO to establish project management standards and ensure they are followed by performing regular assessments of staff performance on projects. Essential Job Duties: GTMO Leadership
- Helps to define and implement the GTMO vision and strategy; translates this into key initiatives and priorities; develops and delivers against operating plans & project plans; achieves results in a global, virtual and complex environment; tracks and measures progress.
- Engages with Covance's leadership to help drive and implement company-wide and GTMO initiatives.
- Leads by Example in creating a forward-looking culture of ownership and accountability; delegates for development and growth; identifies and sets up high performers for success; is self-aware and a learner.
- Has a good understanding of the industry, market and our clients and presents Covance's operational and clinical capabilities to clients. Leads growth within the Therapeutic Area; designs and develops winning trial solutions that result in a growing, profitable portfolio of business in the TA.
- Contributes to the TA commercial, operational, medical and scientific leadership and direction, leveraging expertise from other functions as required.
- Owns client expectations and satisfaction; identifies, develops and fosters new and existing client relationships at senior operational levels with clients, KOLs, and strategic partners; and guides teams in delivering to establish/maintain effective client relationships.
- Contributes to business development strategies, including RFI response, proposal development, bid defense preparation and presentations.
Line Management & Talent Development
- Ensures allocated resources are aligned with current and forecasted work in terms of capability, quantity, timing, and efficiency.
- Attracts, selects, on-boards, develops and retains high performing talent; strengthens and deepens talent bench and succession.
- Assesses project management competencies for assigned staff in order to create developmental plans that will increase competencies and close performance gaps.
- Provides line management and technical support to assigned project leaders, including training, development and performance review of assigned staff.
- Contributes to development and delivery of TA specific & program-specific training.
- Ensures the right talent are assigned to the right projects at the right time; ensures that the talent is fully utilized; and ensures project staff assignment is aligned with contract.
- Part ownership of the global P&L for the TA, including top line growth, operating margin, project cost variance, forecasting, expense management, and other business metrics.
- Champions operational, financial, and quality delivery - encompassing consistent quality while mitigating risk and assuring patient safety, data integrity and GCP compliance.
- Supports a culture of project management excellence whereby project leaders have a deep understanding of their role and responsibility to ensure project success for the TA and their clients across the region.
- Ensures that assigned staff understand and perform consistently according to defined operational, financial, and quality performance and process standards.
- Uses established operational, financial and quality metrics and reporting dashboards to assess resource needs and staff performance for assigned staff.
- Supports the development and implementation of consistent project tools, templates and reports that deliver informative performance metrics and other critical information to stakeholders.
Bachelor's degree required.
- Advance degree, PhD and/or MBA preferred
Experience: Minimum requirements:
Ten (10) or more years of drug development and clinical research experience (pharmaceutical, biotech or CRO), preferably including 3 or more years leading P1b-PIII clinical trials in respective Therapeutic Area (Oncology).
- 2 or more years global leadership experience, ideally in a complex, virtual and matrix environment leading large multi-functional teams.
- Broader level client relationships and business development experience.
- Demonstrated vision, strategy and growth experience.
- Financial acumen (P&L, budget, forecast, resources etc.).