Covance is currently looking to recruit an Executive Medical Director EMEA Oncology, this role can be home or office based anywhere within the EMEA region. The group is around 30 personnel strong and plays a pivotal role in the drug development process through strategic consulting, medical monitoring and clinical trial development.
The new leader will bring a track record of success in previous roles and be able to demonstrate strong leadership, therapeutic and business acumen. The person will drive new initiatives and ideas and also be highly agile in order to adopt and bring to live the new ideas and innovations to enhancing business, culture and processes. This is a customer facing role too and the leader will work directly with customers pre and post business wins to ensure that Covance is well positioned for future revenue growth.
This role requires very experienced professional leadership and management capabilities, necessary to lead a large-scale medically and therapeutic led organization, together with managing across a complex global organization and delivering exceptional client performance for a pharmaceutical services-oriented CRO business. You will have a proven track record as an agent of change in challenging environments and in fostering a confident and capable workforce.
Specifically, the role consists of:
- Contributes to and may lead the development of Company policies involving medical, safety and therapeutics
- Participates and leads in process improvement activities across Company
- Performs other duties as assigned
Client Relationship & Business Development Activities
- Partnering with Global Clinical Organization to develop new and enhance existing client relationships where possible
- Provides leadership and presents medical/scientific capabilities to clients as a participant of a proposal team
- Leverage known and builds new relationships with investigators/sites to performs site/investigator feasibility and to support optimal recruiting and conduct of trials
- Utilize knowledge and understanding of business environment to create new business opportunities
- Serves as point of contact for key clients for business oversight and client relationships
- Able to present or serve on panels to represent the company at conferences and scientific meetings.
- Provides mentoring to and responsible for the supervision, career development and evaluation of Clinical Research Physicians, Associate Medical Directors, Medical Directors and Senior Medical Directors
- Supports and participates in the recruitment process for department positions
- May have managerial responsibility in regard to specific therapeutic sub-specialty within the TA or geographic region
- Involved in assignment of projects and specific duties to direct reports
- Responsible for administration and/or delegation of activities of his/her direct reports (for example PTO, timesheet and expense approval)
- Involved in providing departmental budget preparation and oversight activities
- Acts as deputy for the TA head as needed
- Provides leadership to staff within the therapeutic area
- Leads processes improvement initiatives and/or scientific program initiatives that require involvement and impact across business units
- Acts deputy for the TA head as needed
- Contributes to vision and strategy/direction for therapeutic area, e.g. members of Physician Leadership Team
Therapeutic and Scientific Expertise
- Develops training modules and materials, and provides training in disease states and protocol specific requirements across the Company
- Participates in training opportunities to advance knowledge of drug development and good clinical practice guidelines
- Serves as global lead project physician and as a program level physician across multiple indications for a given compound, can also serve as a sub-specialty TA leader with TA
- Provides subject matter and drug development expertise to be a key contributor to the medical strategy and execution of the program for the client
- Performs medical data review - Reviews laboratory values, adverse events, coding dictionaries and data tables, listings and figures as needed
- Develops, reviews and revises protocols, case report forms, training materials, project specific tools, analysis plans design, clinical trial reports and new drug applications
- Prepares materials for investigator meetings
- Actively participates in investigator meetings
- Provides medical/scientific expertise to project teams
- Responsible for medical and safety monitoring on assigned projects
- Interacts with inter-departmental and external consultants as appropriate
- Participates in feasibility discussions relating to specific project proposals
- Participates in project risk assessment activities
- Assists when needed with data safety monitoring board activities
- Provides clinical and medical expertise to other Covance departments
- Contributes to the scientific strategic leadership for a given therapeutic area and can provide the scientific strategic leadership for a sub-specialty with the TA.
Covance Inc. is the drug development business of Laboratory Corporation of America® Holdings (NYSE: LH), which is the world's most comprehensive drug development company, dedicated to advancing healthcare generating over USD4.5 billion revenue with 23,000 employees in 60 countries. LabCorp® is a world leading life sciences company, providing comprehensive clinical laboratory and end-to-end drug development services with net revenue of over USD7.5 billion and 37,000 employees in 60 countries. There is a unique industry opportunity to link the drug development insights with the diagnostics data and leverage the power of the combined.
Our unique perspectives, built from decades of scientific expertise and precision delivery of the largest volume of drug development data in the world, along with our innovative technology solutions, help our clients identify new approaches and anticipate tomorrow's challenges as they evolve. Together with our clients, Covance transforms today's healthcare challenges into tomorrow's solutions.We also offer laboratory testing services to the chemical/agrochemical industries and are a market leader in toxicology services, central laboratory services, discovery services and a top global provider of Phase III clinical trial management services.
Covance continues to grow globally in terms of revenues and headcount. We have recently appointed a new CEO, Paul Kirchgraber, previously the Global leader of our Clinical Trials Testing Solutions business and continue to invest in our people, facilities and technologies to support the growth plan. For example, new HQ offices have recently been opened in Shanghai, China and RTP, North Carolina. We believe in investing on our talent and this role will offer the right person the opportunity to grow their career in a global setting and take accountability for bringing new practices and processes to bear to improve service delivery and ultimately patient care.
• MD Degree
• Relevant sub specialty fellowship training and history of board certification.
Recognized as a clinical research leader within their therapeutic area with a substantial knowledge of drug development and extensive clinical researchexperience within the pharmaceutical/CRO industry in Oncology.