AstraZeneca is currently looking for a lead engineer whose passion for modern development practises is used on a daily basis driving a global team of engineers forward while working in a sophisticated DevOps environment covering a wide range of user experiences (physical and virtual).
An outstanding opportunity for a skilled lead with a passion for modern software development practices (CI/CD/automated testing/deployment…) to advance the development practices in a science field where IT has not yet been fully realised to build a bespoke integrated software framework (client based/cloud/compute/COTS) to enable scientists to study diseases in revolutionary new ways!
At AstraZeneca, we put patients first and strive to meet their unmet needs worldwide. To help with this goal we are looking for a strong individual to lead our engineers in a platform team within Solutions Delivery in Early Sciences. You must also enjoy influencing and engaging with teams in multiple continents and doing the right thing but understanding other teams have different priorities!
This role requires someone that can and has coded daily, is self-motivated, and has a passion for how you do software development as well as what you build. We'll rely on you to bring your technical acumen to help the team continue to deliver elite solutions but also to grow regards development and delivery methodologies. If you are swift to action, confident to lead, willing to collaborate, and curious about what science can do, then you're our kind of person.
Instrumental in building up a world class IT environment to support this business area as well as working closely with scientists and platform members to enable technology covering animal welfare, experiment planning, data capture (both rich meta data & raw data), data analysis and data exposure to AI/DL. Information will have to be continually gathered and managed as users move along the work chain and be exposed outside of the platform as the need arises. As lead engineer, accountable to ensure we have the right technology to enable all these business functions to function efficiently and accurately by crafting a modular, expandable and flexible framework (covering both systems and information) to cope with the fast scientific changes that occur in this field.
You will progress from engineering a number of siloed solutions to a complete integrated ecosystem and continually adding new capabilities. It must fit the business needs by using technology that best fits the solution and building it so that it is operationally sustainable in the long term, even when they add new requirements each year. This science field will involve real time data capture and doing the experiment later will not be an option so robustness is critical.
What you'll do
As part of our global development team working seamlessly with the new DevOps lead manager in Chennai and helping them to push to a DevOps CI/CD automated testing & delivery model by bringing ideas, working practices and technology that you know works. A key driver and enabler in that transition.
Skill and Capabilities:-
- Working with stakeholders and team members to understand and estimate requirements. You should practice your own high standards with regards software development practices. The software ecosystem will contain significant custom development, but also existing in house solutions and COTS. You will push forward an API centric approach removing software duplication to deliver IT efficiency but also a seamless approach to information creation by the users. Responsible to ensure COTS systems are seamlessly integrated into our IT ecosystem from an end user perspective, ensuring full integration and ensuring you get the benefits of available solutions (we need to keep current science progressing) as well as enhancing the user experience with custom solutions.
We consider individuals in this role to be our world-class Software Engineers. At this level a software engineer is capable of working in multiple spaces and is likely to be the most experienced and skilled engineer on the team. Learning new technology is also a key part of this role. However, you must have deep technical skills. The person who joins us will have the following skills -
- Strong proficiency in multiple software programming languages like Java, .NET, C, as well as scripting languages like Python, VBA Script.
- Experience with process tools like GIT, JIRA, Confluence and CI/CD tools
- A drive to raise the bar regards automated software delivery and testing
- Experience with working with multiple databases Oracle, My SQL, SQL Server
- Experience of containerisation and cloud computing services like AWS.
- Experience with Rest API and services, general API design inc. tools like swagger, and multiple application integration
- Experience of delivering and supporting software in a DevOps environment
- Experience leading teams, delivering and supporting solutions
- Experience with Monitoring tools like Splunk and AppDynamics Experience with ITSM toolsets like ServiceNow, BMC Remedy or similar
- Exposure to analytics tools like Spotfire, Power BI
- Exposure to commercial off the shelf systems like LIMS, eLN
- Excellent Problem solving and adaptability
- Passion to learn and drive forward with new technologies
- Working with fast-moving research and informatics environments
At AstraZeneca when we see an opportunity for change, we seize it and make it happen, because any opportunity no matter how small, can be the start of something big. Delivering life-changing medicines is about being entrepreneurial - finding those moments and recognising their potential. Join us on our journey of building a new kind of organisation to reset expectations of what a bio-pharmaceutical company can be. This means we're opening new ways to work, pioneering cutting edge methods and bringing unexpected teams together. Interested? Come and join our journey.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform crucial job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.