You'll be responsible for the general management and functional effectiveness and efficiency of the Regulatory Data and Content Management (RDCM) Regulatory function of 300+ people across 4 main sites. In addition, you are Chief of Staff (CoS) to the VP Global Head of RDCM and member of the RDCM Leadership Team (RDCM LT). The RDCM LT is comprised of the VP Global Head of RDCM, Finance and Human Resource business partners, Regulatory Approvals and Information Lifecycle Domain Lead, RDCM LT Rotational Resident, and the Global Heads of Regulatory Documentation, Operations, Labeling, Global Project Management, Disclosures and Data Sharing, Quality and Compliance. Finally you lead strategic initiatives and work with other people who run strategic initiatives and help them to implement in RDCM. In Roche Product Development Regulatory (PDR) we have an ambitious vision to have a positive impact on patients, healthcare systems and society - there is a huge potential in RDCM to do so!
RDCM is part of the PDR organization, which develops and maintains the licenses that permit Roche to market and sell its life improving therapies worldwide. We are the stewards of the safety and efficacy of medicines, collaborating with regulators of every country in which Roche does business to help them understand our products' clinical value. We also work across industry and regulators to continually evolve regulatory policy. We are an organization of ~800 staff with our main offices in China, UK, Switzerland, Canada, and the USA.
All PDR business managers are part of a centralized organization, the Regulatory Business Office (RBO, a group of 60 generalists of different backgrounds and skill sets), which is currently transforming into a TEAL/self-managing organization. While the initial setup and scope of the job is described below (focus on RDCM and reporting into the PDR LT CoS) over time within that group, reporting lines can be chosen, each person can choose which community of practices they participate in and scope of work will shift over time, once you have fully onboarded. We encourage our talent to bring their whole self to work, and over time, shift their work to what they are most passionate about, so the opportunities are plenty and you will be able to shape your career according to your interest and strength. Key Responsibilities General management & functional effectiveness
Chief of Staff
- Stay on top of trends internally and externally and define strategies and tactics to ensure RDCM is increasing its competitive advantage
- Translate new ideas and trends into clearly defined strategic initiatives and lead their implementation
- Lead budget management, resource allocation, strategic planning to maximize value delivery by the RDCM function
- Ensure excellence in management of people, finance and communications by partnering with BPs
- Sponsor, support or drive continuous improvement efforts for your function
- Contribute to and lead as applicable organizational design, productivity, process improvement and outsourcing optimization efforts
- As Chief of Staff, you will be a thought leader and sparring partner for the VP Global Head of RDCM and act as his deputy and surrogate
- Drive the RDCM LT meetings and yearly agenda and support the team in timely, well-informed decision making, allocate resources to the highest value uses, and ensure effective line of sight into the value delivered by the organization.
- Design and facilitate effective meetings by selecting relevant topics, balancing content review with discussion, and moderating dialogue.
- Increase LT effectiveness and cohesiveness.
- Coach leaders around you and mentor people in RDCM
- In collaboration with administrative staff, track and monitor LT decisions and actions; hold LT members accountable to decisions and actions
- Lead, supported by PDR administrative staff, on all aspects of logistics and planning of LT meetings
Being part of the RBO community as well as business management communities
- Lead high impact strategic initiatives relevant to RDCM and based on your knowledge and expertise
- Partner with the PDR Strategy to implement the PDR strategy
- Act as single point of contact and coordinate all implementation of PDR and PD level strategic initiatives within your function
- Provide excellence in change management and strengthen communication flows from the leadership team to the employees and vice versa
Additional Information about the Role
- RBO is currently evolving into a TEAL/self-managed organization ( http://www.reinventingorganizationswiki.com/Teal_Organizations ) hence you will be part of a community of business managers, change & OD leads, IT and business project managers as well as our outsourcing team - active participation in the community will be key to your success
- As part of that work with your peers in PDR business management to strengthen PDR delivery, effectiveness and efficiency across functions
- Collaborate with your peers in other Pharma Development functions and technical regulatory to share best practice, align, and ensure consistency as appropriate
Who You Are Qualifications, Experience & Education
- Reports to Global Head of PDR Business Management & PDR LT CoS within the Regulatory Business Office
- Matrix reporting into and Chief of Staff to VP Global Head of RDCM
- The RDCM LT is a global team; international travel is required as well as ability to work during overlapping hours between Europe and North America
- As mentioned above reporting lines and scope of work can be evolved by the person in role over time
- Strategy consulting background and skill set required
- We are looking for an experienced professional with leadership skills to operate at a "senior manager/associate director" equivalent level position
- A deep history of prior business experience (8+ years) in the biotechnology and pharmaceutical arena is required (in industry, startups or consulting)
- Change management experience highly valued
- MBA or MS in Management or other advanced degree showing a focus in business is highly valued but not required
- Knowledge of Regulatory Affairs or scientific or medicine background is highly valued but not required
Roche is an equal opportunity employer.
- A strong leadership presence; You will be viewed and recognized as a thought leader
- Ability to cultivate a strong and trusting relationship with executive leaders
- Ability to provide clear, informed, and sophisticated counseling and feedback to executive leaders
- Outstanding time management and organizational skills, with an ability to consistently execute multiple, and sometimes competing activities to a high quality and timely conclusion
- Ability to quickly assimilate and prioritize changing business requirements into in-flight strategies and plans
- Ability to see the connections between seemingly disparate issues, as well as distill complex and sometimes voluminous content into clear, concise, and engaging communications
- Outstanding communication and presentation skills, both written and verbal
- Strong influencing and negotiation skills, including a record of accomplishment influencing without authority and driving cross-functional activities to successful conclusion
- Strong customer-orientation and proven track record of collaborative work relationships
Business Support, Business Support > General Business Operations