About the role
This is a great opportunity! We have just opened an Operational Excellence Specialist role. The role will be responsible for collaborating with key business partners to build a continuous improvement culture at Abcam. The Operational Excellence Specialist will drive improvement initiatives and strengthen operational excellence capability throughout Abcam with primary focus at sites on the West Coast of the United States. The role trains and consults with others on process improvement methodologies. The Operational Excellence Specialist will facilitate the identification, selection, and management of projects to improve the organization's efficiency and responsiveness. This enables Abcam to serve life scientists to achieve their mission, faster. Essential Responsibilities:
- Establishes lean culture using visual management, daily accountability, tiered metric boards, and leader standard work
- Facilitates cross-functional Kaizen teams that are working to eliminate waste in their work processes and ensure system improvements are sustained
- Develop capability of others through training sessions and project execution
- Analyzes data and applies appropriate process improvement methodologies (Kaizen, 5S, time-motion studies, value stream/process mapping, Kanban, six sigma, etc.) to gain a deeper understanding of processes and identify strategic improvement opportunities
- Develop and support KPI scorecards
- Report progress of continuous improvement activities on periodic basis
- Assists with other Operational Excellence initiatives, as needed
You are a proven high performer with an intrinsic desire for continuous improvement. You have natural attention to detail and possess excellent communication, analytical, and organizational skills. You are comfortable driving accountability without direct reporting structure. You are a self-starter, driven, and motivated to continuously improve our processes.
If this sounds like you and you would like to be a part of a fast paced, growing business with the vision to become the most influential company and best-loved brand in life sciences, please apply now! Minimum Requirements:
- Bachelor's degree in a scientific, engineering or business discipline and 5+ years of relevant experience
- Experience using modern continuous improvement methodologies (lean manufacturing, six sigma, etc.)
- Proven track record for developing, training, and mentoring employee teams
- Strong interpersonal skills and capability of influencing leaders at all levels of the organization
- Ability to work cross-functionally and pursue holistic solutions
- Strong problem solving and analytical skills
- Leads with integrity and respect
- Flexibility to travel 25-50% of the time
- Life sciences industry experience
- Master's degree/MBA
- Experience supporting change in a highly regulated environment
- Management or project management experience
- Lean/six sigma certification
Ever since 1998, when our founder, Jonathan Milner, started selling antibodies from the back of his bike, Abcam has aimed to help scientific researchers make breakthroughs faster. We now have offices and labs in the UK, the US, China and Japan, and as we continue to grow, we remain ambitious, driven by our customers' success and their research needs.
It is our goal to provide a world-standard in protein research tools, technical support and delivery. When you join Abcam, you will join a global business with the passion and the vision to become the most influential company, and, best-loved brand in life sciences.
Our culture is our key differentiator. We believe in empowering individuals, with responsibility given at an early stage. The working environment is fun and fast-paced, collaborative and outcome focused, with a strong customer focus. In addition to competitive salaries, we can offer an attractive flexible benefits package which includes share options, a culture focused on well-being and opportunities for growth and development.
Abcam is an Equal Opportunity Employer and makes all employment decisions without regard to age, national origin, race, ethnicity, religion, creed, gender, sexual orientation, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.