About the role
The Protein Sciences team at Cambridge is currently in the build-up phase and the successful candidate will work in this new and dynamic team.
The role predominantly involves protein expression in mammalian and bacterial cell systems in both a small scale high-throughput and a larger scale lower throughput format as well as protein analytics. The role will also involve protein purification and molecular biology. Job Responsibilities:
In particular, the successful candidate will;
- Express proteins at small scale in high-throughput format in mammalian or bacterial cell systems and analyse results
- Plan, carry out and analyse protein expression optimisation, DoE studies with little help
- Maintain mammalian cells
- Ensure proteins are of high-quality using protein analytical techniques (SDS-PAGE, dot blot, Western blot, HPLC, LC-MS)
- Contribute to additional activities within the team, as required
- Communicate clearly with managers and the Protein Sciences team, providing delivery dates and the necessary documentation and clearly presented lab results to support ongoing and completed work
- Discuss lab results and optimisation with other labs around the world (Head of Protein Sciences in Natick)
- Document experiments and procedures in laboratory notebooks, analysing and presenting experimental data within internal meetings, and participate in the drafting and implementation of standard operating procedures (SOP's)
- Role model working in a safe and efficient working environment in the Laboratory and ensure the safety of your colleagues and visitors, and support team adherence to all health and safety guidelines
- Maintain high quality standards within the lab; ensuring the lab is compliant with all external and internal quality standards, including ISO9001
This position would suit a hardworking, detail-orientated person who is able to function effectively in a fast-paced and sociable team environment.
You will be educated to at least degree level in a life sciences-related subject with some hands-on experience of protein production. Experience of working in a team environment is an advantage.
Expertise with protein expression, mammalian cell culture, protein purification as well as experience with protein analytical methods is highly desirable. Molecular Biology experience and experience with HPLC and LC-MS would be an advantage.
Abilities to apply a good scientific rationale to problems and to analyse and draw conclusions from data are important for this role.
If this sounds like you and you'd like to be a part of a fast paced, growing business with the vision to become the most influential company and best-loved brand in life sciences please apply now! About Us
An idea conceived in a University of Cambridge laboratory in 1998, Abcam plc (www.abcamplc.com) began life as an innovative and entrepreneurial start-up, spearheaded by like-minded individuals who shared a common purpose of providing the scientific community with quality antibody reagents, as well as trustworthy and up-to-date information about their uses and limitations. Abcam has now grown to become a leading supplier of protein research tools to life scientists, whilst always maintaining the core collaborative values assumed at its inception.
Abcam now supports life science researchers in their quest to understand the cause of disease and ultimately offer improvements to diagnoses and treatments. To achieve this outcome, the company both develops and manufactures its own products in specialist facilities across the globe, and sources from over 400 partners, offering scientists the newest, most innovative and highest quality research tools available globally, regardless of source. With a customer base of research scientists who require high performance products with detailed technical specifications, 64% of global researchers use Abcam products.
Mission - To serve life scientists to achieve their mission faster
Vision - To be the most influential life sciences company for researchers worldwide
Strategy - To deliver sustainable, profitable, long-term growth
Pay and Benefits
In addition to competitive salaries, we offer an attractive and flexible benefits package (including our award-winning share scheme), a culture focused on well-being and opportunities for growth and development, and a highly flexible working environment.