Manages the day-to-day operations of the program team. Supports staff members so that contracted services are provided in accordance with client and PPD Medical Communications policies and procedures. Trains and supervises Medical Communications support staff and/or experienced professionals on the program team. Develops, coaches, and mentors staff. Liaisons with the client and PPD and discusses and resolves issues affecting the client, which is instrumental to the maintenance of the client relationship.
- Conducts performance appraisals, management and salary administration for direct reports. Monitors employee work. Handles employee relations issues, scheduling and time record verification, recruiting and billable hours management.
- Completes client reports, develops procedural documents, maintains program knowledge, and ensures compliance with company policies and procedures including SOP's, protocols, and FDA regulations.
- Acts as liaison between the client, PPD Medical Communications management and staff for issues such as workflow processes, available resources, and new initiatives affecting the program.
- Handles all aspects of program training including providing training to staff members, developing curriculum, and documenting and maintaining training records and curriculum.
- Mentors and guides associate managers on answering medical inquiries and documenting contacts, adverse events and product complaints.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Good leadership skills
- Strong attention to detail and organizational skills
- Effective verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent problem solving and analytical skills
- Demonstrated time management skills and multi-tasking skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Decision making skills
- Ability to coach and train staff
- Excellent language skills must be demonstrated if the position requires languages other than English
- Ability to work in a team environment and/or independently as needed
- Manages experienced professionals and / or subordinate management who exercise latitude and independence in their assignments. Often heads one or more sections or a small department. Responsible for training and development of subordinate staff, estimating personnel needs, assigning work, meeting completion dates, assisting subordinates with difficult inquiries or problems, interpreting and ensuring consistent application of organizational policies, and development and implementation of unit policies and procedures. Recommends employees for employment, discipline, termination; initiates and communicates a variety of personnel actions (e.g. performance and salary reviews, promotions, time off requests, timesheet and expense report approvals).
Working Conditions and Environment:
- Work is performed in an office environment with exposure to electrical office equipment
- Constant interaction with clients/associates required
- Must pay constant attention to detail-visual, mentalMust be able to multi-task constantlyLong, varied hours required occasionally
- Daily exposure to high pressure, intense concentration
- Occasional drives to site locations and or occasional travels domestic travel
- Frequently stationary for 6-8 hours per day
- Repetitive hand movement of both hands with the ability to make fast, simple, repeated movements of the fingers, hands, and wrists
- Moderate mobility required
- Occasional crouching, stooping, bending and twisting of upper body and neck
- Light to moderate lifting and carrying (or otherwise moves) objects including luggage and laptop computer with a maximum lift of 15-20 lbs.
- Ability to access and use a variety of computer software developed both in-house and off-the-shelf
- Ability to communicate complex information and ideas so others will understand; with the ability to listen to and understand information and ideas presented through spoken words and sentences
- Frequently interacts with others, relates sensitive information to diverse groups both internally and externally
- Ability to apply abstract principles to solve complex conceptual issues.
- Requires multiple periods of intense concentration
- Performs a wide range of complex tasks as dictated by variable demands and changing conditions with little predictability as to the occurrence. Ability to perform under stress.
- Ability to multi-task
- Regular and consistent attendance