Head of Procurement Strategy & Operational Excellence
- Experience Level
- Senior Management
At AstraZeneca we turn ideas into life changing medicines. Working here means being entrepreneurial, thinking big and working together to make the impossible a reality.
Procurement is a function of approximately 450 highly skilled professionals globally that touches on all parts of the AstraZeneca business from the identification of new drug targets through to the supply of our medicines to patients. Procurement actively leads the sourcing of over $9BN of goods and services needed every year by AZ, building relationships with reputable suppliers.
The Strategy & Operational Excellence Team is the backbone of the procurement organisation, supporting the delivery of the ONE procurement vision. The function is responsible for driving performance, risk & compliance, commercial strategy, portfolio & productivity and people & supplier performance globally across the procurement function. We are seeking to appoint a Procurement Leader for the Strategy & Operational Excellence team. In this role you will be a key member of the Procurement Leadership Team reporting to the CPO.
Procurement Strategy & Operational Excellence (S&OE) exist to make a difference across the whole procurement function. You will set direction through intelligence and responsibility, and drive for excellence in a high-performance culture that puts people and patients at the heart of everything we do
You will be the custodian of the functions value proposition and strategic plan, drive data and insights for commercial excellence, create competitive advantage through an ethical, compliance process, and drive the culture and performance of procurement building capabilities to future prof the organization. The S&OE function comprises of 35+ procurement professionals and you will lead, develop and drive the strategy that will optimize procurement across the enterprise.
Collaboration with the Procurement Leadership team is pivotal to ensure internal alignment and external awareness of the functions progress against the strategic objectives and ensuring these align and support the strategic objectives of the business areas we partner.
You will embed market-leading intelligence with a strong foundation of data and analytics, provide centralised actionable insights and robust foresight to impact competitive advantage and enable data driven decision making.
Responsibility for governance & compliance, third party risk management, along with sustainability & supplier diversity. Thus ensuring that we, and our suppliers operate in an ethical, standardised way to protect the environment & benefits society.
As the S&OE lead you will drive an engaged workforce across the function ensuring we have the right capabilities for the future, embedding our lifelong learning vision & an inclusive culture
Experience & Qualifications:
Astra Zeneca's overriding objective to hire exceptional procurement talent on to it global leadership team. World class industry experience is a must, and previous exposure to the life sciences industry is not a pre-requisite. Likewise, whilst this is an operational excellence role, you do not need to have held a similar role like this previously. Critical is a demonstrable track record in best practice procurement and exceptional leadership capability in a global, matrix environment
- Master's degree
- Professional Business Qualification
- Significant experience including experience in senior strategic Procurement
- Proven leadership skills, including demonstrated ability to empower others to accomplish individual, team and organizational objectives
- Mastery of Procurement with an ability to lead cross functional working groups and teams
- Demonstrated ability to set and manage priorities, resources, performance targets and project initiatives in a global and regional environment
- Experience of leading a Procurement team and working in a global environment
- Willingness to travel both domestically and internationally
- Conceptual, analytical and strategic thinking
- Ability to influence strategically and persuade tactfully, to obtain desired outcomes while maintaining effective, positive, organizational relationships
- Operational expertise in risk management and contingency planning
- Familiarity with the latest research and thinking
- Effective problem and conflict resolution skills and proven team focus