Research Data Scientist, Oncology R&D, Knowledge Graph team
- Experience Level
- Experienced (non-manager)
As part of AstraZeneca's Data and AI transformation, we have an exciting opportunity to join a new team committed to pushing the boundaries of Oncology R&D by building and analyzing disease knowledge graphs. The team will take full advantage of big data initiatives at AstraZeneca, such as investment in a Functional Genomics Center with CRUK, partnership in the MIT Broad Institute's DepMap consortium, membership of the UK Biobank, and next generation sequencing of thousands of patients in our trials. By connecting insight with data to build a fuller understanding of the complexities of cancer biology, this team will drive discovery of a new generation of cancer targets and precision medicines.
Join a company where your work will impact patients' lives. No matter what you do, or how small your contribution, know that your work impacts lives. That's what drives our Data Scientists to work here rather than anywhere else.
- A graduate degree (e.g. Masters or PhD) in a quantitative discipline (Data Science, Mathematics, Physics, Computational Statistics or similar).
- Broad expertise with mathematical techniques for integration and analysis of big/complex data.
- Expertise solving data problems with state-of-the-art statistical and machine learning techniques, particularly in one of the core competency areas e.g.
- machine/deep learning for biological/health data e.g. genomics
- representational learning of graphs/networks (inc. neural network-based methods e.g. GCN)
- Bayesian or logical causal reasoning applied to graphs/networks
- transfer learning, machine attention, active learning or reinforcement learning
- Experience working with pre-clinical or clinical biological data e.g. genomics
- Programming proficiency esp. Python and R, networked and cloud-based systems, FAIR data practices, and graph data representations e.g. triple/quad stores.
- Experience contributing to the research community through re-useable code, publication and conferences.
About the job:
The Oncology Knowledge Graph team will work with biomedical researchers and data scientists across the drug discovery pipeline, contributing directly towards patient-benefit. By connecting biological insights from our scientists and the literature with public and proprietary clinical and pre-clinical data (including phenotypic, NGS, multi-omics, imaging, CRISPR, clinical and EHR), you will discover and drive new hypotheses into our portfolio. As part of our burgeoning data science and AI community this team will transform early R&D, surfacing novel insights to improve our understanding of oncology disease, patients, targets, experiments and drug response.
As a data scientist in the team, you will be motivated by the power of data and Artificial Intelligence (AI) to transform how we discovery new therapies. You will apply your skills and innovation to:
- Work alongside domain experts and drug project teams to design impactful analyses.
- You will combine knowledge analytics with analysis of genomic, phenotypic and clinical data to infer assertions relating drugs, targets and disease for incorporation into knowledge graphs.
- Interrogate disease knowledge graphs to reveal patterns impacting research and clinical practices, including discovery of novel drug targets and biomarkers.
- Collaborate with data and graph engineers, bioinformaticians, and software developers to create end:end solutions.
- You'll develop interfaces and visual analytics to maximize benefit to and from AZ scientists/clinicians.
- Help the team educate the AZ scientific community to adopt a FAIR data-first culture, and recognize opportunities for knowledge graphs and graph theory.
- You will collaborate with the burgeoning Data Science and AI community across AZ to benchmark best practices and maximize impact, sharing code and peer insight.
- Maintain awareness of state-of-the-art applications of knowledge graphs and machine learning for drug discovery and influence strategic direction of the team.
- Take all opportunities for personal development and growth
- Grow our external reputation by publishing innovative methodologies and scientific discoveries.
AI @ AstraZeneca
We have exciting opportunities for people passionate about the power of data and Artificial Intelligence (AI) as a catalyst for change.
A significant investment in state-of-the-art data science and AI is at the forefront of our AZ2025 innovation program. This will include assembly of teams to deliver a FAIR science data foundation, AI-augmented drug design, and data science led biological insights. As part of this initiative you will support us in positioning AstraZeneca at the forefront of drug discovery, developing techniques to augment and transform how we discover and develop new medicines in future.
Location: Cambridge, UK
Salary: Competitive + Excellent benefits
Closing Date: 1st November 2019
Apply today to be part of something extraordinary.