Before applying for a role, it’s important to do your research first to decide if it’s the right role for you, and to give you a solid understanding of what the company does for you to demonstrate in your application. Only looking at the company’s ‘About Us’ page isn’t enough, as it doesn’t always give you a realistic overview of what a career there could look like. Here are some ways you can find out more about a company before starting your application or attending an interview:
- Company social media pages to see how they interact with clients/customers and for information on current projects and news
- Client lists and partnerships for further insight on the company’s values and industry influence
- Reviews from previous employees on places like Glassdoor to help you see the negatives as well as the positives
- Company news to provide depth/context to your understanding of what they do
- Competitor news to better understand what the company you’re applying to does differently
- Industry news to understand the challenges the company you’re applying to might be facing as well as emerging opportunities
You won’t be expected to know everything about the company you’re applying to, but having a good understanding of some of these things will help you stand out in your applications and demonstrate a genuine interest in the role. It will also help you to understand the company culture, and decide whether they’re the right fit for you.